Clinical Case Seminar
The Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care (HMS CPC) Clinical Case Seminar is an extension of the National Cancer Institute-sponsored Palliative Care Role Model Program. The seminars provide opportunities for clinicians interested in different facets of palliative care from across HMS institutions, the Boston palliative care and hospice communities, and other interested medical students, clinicians, and researchers to come together to discuss practice, research, and education in palliative care.
The seminars are designed to bring the most up-to-date research and scholarship to the Boston palliative care community in order to be integrated into clinical practice. The seminars also provide a venue for sharing personal experiences in the context of discussion and formal didactics, leading to mutual learning and the development of a rich palliative care community.
The seminars follow a standard, but flexible, format:
- Case presentation by an interdisciplinary team of clinicians from any of several HMS-affiliated palliative care clinical services
- Facilitated, highly interactive discussion about the issues raised by the case
- Commentary by one or more expert discussants
Who should attend
- Physicians, nurses, social workers, researchers, pharmacists, chaplains, palliative care program care teams, and administrators
- Palliative care physicians, nurses, social workers and chaplains; hospice care workers; inpatient, rehab, skilled nursing facility, outpatient, and home care end-of-life care providers; medical students, residents, and fellows; and medical and surgical specialists (e.g., oncologists, intensivists) caring for patient populations with high rates of life-limiting illness
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Integrate latest literature on communication and symptom management strategies for palliative care patients
- Model inter-professional collaboration
- Discuss ethical, legal and systems issues that affect our field
Schedule and location
The HMS CPC Clinical Case Seminar is normally held on the second Friday of each month (September-May), from 1:00-2:00 at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
The Harvard Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians and designates each session for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.